Monday, April 21, 2008

First Flat...

Well a week has gone by - did get out 4 times for a short ride for a total of 125 kms. An indoor spin class at the beginning of the week plus some weights was my total exercise for the week. The knee discomfort is slowly going away. This week I should up the total kms cycled - the weather is supposed to be great once again for outdoor cycling.

Last Saturday Joe and I were out for a ride up country from here - lonely country roads with some hills for a good workout when we met up with someone we knew who was out rappelling. We stopped to chat with him and all of a sudden a loud pop from my front tire and slowly the air went out of it - a real sinking feeling. Dave offered to drive us home but Joe said he would try to fix it. I had some new tubes with me but there was a cut on the tire as well. My hands stayed clean so guess who changed the tire. I watched closely but don't think I'm ready to do this on my own yet - will have to learn. Joe temporarily fixed the hole in the tire with a piece of paper but I will need to take the tire into the cycle shop to have it either repaired or replaced. We also left home on Saturday without our wallets or cell phone, not a smart thing to do in case we would have needed to call someone - must make a check list for each time we/I go out.

On Sunday lots of cyclists were out enjoying the day - we decided to join our local churches in cleaning up our neighbourhood for Earth Day - it amazing how much garbage surfaces once all the snow is melted.

1 comment:

Liz Meyer said...

I posted an entry on my own blog with the same title just a few weeks ago! I too did not do much to change the tire myself, but I'm hoping that watching was the training I'll need to be able to do it myself. And I'm hoping that flats will be very rare for us all this summer.