Thursday, May 1, 2008

Here's wishing this is what après cycling will be like. . .

It was planned, I would cycle to our son's house in Cambridge one day, sleep overnight and cycle back with my daughter-in-law the next day. Clean clothes, etc. were there already. Tuesday was the day - right after lunch I set off, thought I was dressed for the weather but was only a km from home when I decided to go back and get some warmer clothes. I set off again and headed out into only a slight wind . The weather forecast had said that the winds would be getting stronger in the late afternoon. The country roads I cycled were reasonably flat but the winds did pick up so it was hard going especially towards the end. My daughter-in-law passed me at one point and offered to give me a ride but I was determined to make it on my own - she went to pick the kids up from school and came back again just yards from their home. I managed to do the whole distance and pulled into their yard with 37.63 km on the odometre - more tired from cycling into the wind than from the distance. This trip had taken me more than 2 hours - I was chilled right through.

Before I knew it, my daughter-in-law had filled their jacuzzi tub with warm water, added bubble bath, lit some candles, poured a glass of white wine and ordered me to get into the tub. Wow, this was just what I needed - it felt so good I could have stayed there for hours but my stomach was telling me it was time for supper.

I was in bed just after the grandkids went so had a great sleep. Woke up early to a sunny but chilly day on Wednesday....we left right after the kids went off to school and Geri and I headed back to Waterdown, taking the same route from the day before. This time the wind was on our backs. We still had to dress warmly - winter gloves, headband and a few layers of clothes. We were making very good time.... but had stopped because Geri's cell phone was ringing and while I was waiting for her, my cell phone also rang. It was my daughter asking where we were and I told her we were just 10 kms from home and we would be there within half an hour. Since she lives just down the street from us she told me that coffee would be ready and she would put soup on and we could eat lunch as soon as we arrived.

Talk about being spoiled by your kids! I am very blessed. If only this could/would happen on our actual tour this summer - this would be the ultimate!

On Thursday evening I rode off into the sunset on the "Evening Bliss" trail on the ExpressoFitness Bike at the local Y. A mere 7 1/2 km ride followed by weights. It was a day of social committments and when they were over, it was drizzling outside, it was cold and it was easier to go to the Y.

No comments: