Sunday, June 1, 2008

The first of June.....

The countdown continues....for those starting in Seattle, it's only 27 more sleeps and you are off.... the final month of training is starting. Those of us starting in Denver have a few more weeks but it's creeping up on us as well. Those needs/wants of equipment/clothing should all be bought by now as well. I did make a trip to MEC and spent lots and now have to return there to exchange some of the purchases. Waiting for a rainy day before making the trip to TO.

The cycle shop where I purchased my bike had an invitation for a "Ladies Night" a few weeks ago - this private function was a forum based on ladies cycling needs, apparel, basic mechanics and the quintessential...the TUBE change! I went and did I learn stuff I didn't know. She had a new product with her called "Chamois Butter" and suggested to put this butter on the chamois in our shorts as well as other places - this is probably too much information for the male readers to this blog. She also recommended "Udderly Smooth" as a product to use and I did manage to buy some in a Wegman's store across the border. It's getting harder and harder to find it where I live.

A female rep from TREK bikes was there to show and tell us how to change a tire without getting our hands dirty and it's possible - she had no grease anywhere. Now it will be interesting to see how much we remember when reality sets in on the side of the road. They also offered a complimentary pilates class specific for cyclists. Now that's a form of exercise that gets right to the "gut" so to speak - very good for before and after a ride.

Training continues...this past week I mastered "Snake Road" hill two times in a row - an accomplishment for me - met a trainer at the Y who is doing the Ironman this summer and she suggests repeat hills as a good training. Our local newspaper ran an article on a cyclist who will be taking part in the cycle across Canada for Cancer that will take place soon and will be done in 19 days. She also does Snake Road hill and she does 10 repeats in a row. I will have to increase my repeats this week. Those doing the 19 day tour will average 240 km per day - not sure if I could ever do that. I also ventured out for a 70 km ride along roads and hills that I had never taken before. Beautiful farm country that offered lots of smells, some not so pleasant. This picture shows the easy part of the ride - going downhill.


I do live in a beautiful part of the country that has lots of challenging hills - this week will have to venture out more than last week. Our area had very strong winds the last week which made for a tough ride but we did have plenty of sunshine to go with the winds. On my days with too many other commitments, I can still go to the Y in the early morning and get a spin class in and do weights so am not shirking my training. I feel sorry for those who hold down regular full time jobs and have to get their training in after hours.

2 comments:

Rita Beerda said...

Margaret I received your card with the money for the book. Thanks. I've started reading ours and it is great. I'm about half way finished. Yes we did have another grandson as you can see on my blog. Ryan, Timothy. He was 7lb.15oz. so a nice size. He's tinier featured than Andrew, a real cutie. God is good. Great that you made Snake Hill two days in a row. Awesome!! Doesn't it make you feel great when you see how you're improving? Looking forward to seeing you guys on the 21st.

Eritia said...

Hey Margaret,
Sorry I didn't say much more than a "hi" today at the pancake breakfast! Neat that you and your husband made a point of going.
Thanks for sharing the tips you learned:)