Monday, June 30, 2008

My First Century Ride

Well by this time today (5:30 p.m. in Ontario), I'm sure most of the cyclists who left Seattle this morning should have arrived at their destination for the day - it was to be an 80 km day so we were told. The suggestion was made that the seatosea cyclists who weren't starting in Seattle should do a similar ride today. Joe and I left just after 8:30 a.m. and had an 80 km ride planned. Once we were on the way home and we had a tail wind, I suggested that we should do a 100 km ride. The route changed and we managed to clock just over 100 km - felt good arriving home just before 4:00 p.m. Mind you we made a few stops on the way - it didn't take us that long to do the 100 km. We had some wonderful scenery along the way - will post a picture later - hopefully as spectacular as the other cyclists had. But we did not dip our tires in the ocean and did not have a royal send off.....

Our plan was to have lunch in Arkell - a small town just over 40 km from home - but it was not to be, they chose to take today and tomorrow off to celebrate Canada Day so we had to do without lunch. We did sit on their porch, ate a granola bar and decided to keep going until the next town which was Freelton and there we had something to eat and drink. The temperature was just perfect for a ride today - high of 21 with thunder storms forecast for both the morning and the afternoon which did not materialize. Wearing rose coloured sun glasses is great for these conditions - they don't let you see how dark the sky really is at times.

Another added bonus to all this training is a drop in my cholesterol reading...mine had been steadily climbing the last few years and my doctor wanted me to go on meds for it. I asked him for another 6 month reprieve before taking meds and promised I would work very had at getting it down. Well last week I had blood work done and it had decreased considerably so I was very happy about that.

Training will be heavy duty for the next few weeks.....we plan to leave the 22nd of July for our drive out to Denver, we will our time getting there....enjoying the scenery along the way and checking out the roads that we will be cycling once we leave Denver.

3 comments:

Emma said...

Good for you Margaret! I was thrilled to see that you are taking the challenge for this bike tour. It is good to read that you are getting health benefits through the training as well. I will try to keep up with your blog and root for you as you join the group in Denver. My prayers are with you as you continue your training and hope to see you as you ride by in Beamsville in due time.
Your cousin - Emma

Rita Beerda said...

Good job Margaret. You made it to 100 kms!! Fortunate you guys didn't get the rain. We were thinking of you guys on the way back home from our trip but we were heading in the opposite direction on the way home - heading north. It was tough!! Sure worked those muscles though. Keep up the good work Margaret!! You're doing awesome.

Kimberley Gringhuis said...

Auntie Marg,
I am so proud of you! I have been reading the Sea to Sea devotional every morning and praying for the cyclists. I will pray for you as you continue to train and prepare.
I will see you in Grand Rapids!
Kim