Saturday, July 26, 2008

Arrival in Denver

We arrived safely on Thursday night and camped in a State Park on the edge of Denver. Friday morning we took the bikes off the trailer and Joe led Rita and I on a 40 km bike ride through the park and surroundings. The park had excellent bike paths for the serious cyclists of Denver all within very easy access to the city. This way Rita and I could acclimatize to the higher altitude - I did notice the difference and it took a bit longer to catch my breath after a climb. Mind you it wasn't as tough a ride as the cyclists had but it was good to get back on our bikes after a week away. My odometer turned over 2800 km so this was all training kilometres for the tour.

This should have me ready to start on Monday morning. Tomorrow morning we will be cycling for 2 miles to get to where the church service will be held so we get to ride a bit tomorrow.

Today Rita and I changed a tire on my bike while Peter and Joe sat in their lawnchairs and gave instructions. They watched closely and did have to get their hands dirty as well. I wore gloves so stayed clean but they weren't going to do that. It was the rear tire so was a bit more work than a front one - involved taking the chain off, etc. There was a crack in the tire so it was advised to change it before it gave me problems on the road.

We did arrive at the Chritian High School by 11:00 this morning thinking the cyclists would be arriving by noon but it was a tough ride and the first cyclists didn't get in until 2:00. It was very exciting to meet up with those we knew. The church and school community in Denver did very well in welcoming everyone to their city. It feels wonderful to be part of this whole adventure now.

The temperature here in Denver has broken records - 13 days of over 95 degrees and it is going to be dropping a bit this coming week. Should be more comfortable cycling next week. The scenery here is awesome - mountains all around us.

It's time to call it a day - it's been a long one. The school computer lab is open for us which is great - it's easier to type on regular computers than a laptop and I am taking advantage of it.

Next post will be after a day of cycling.....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Margaret,
I have enjoyed so much reading your blog. Please keep writing - I like to know what you are doing.

The weather sounds so hot - I know that will be hard on you but you are a sturdy woman.

Just three weeks and you will be here in our fair city. We will be standing by the side of the road to welcome you. It will be such fun having so many of our Canadian relatives around.

Till then - stay safe and blessings to you and fellow travelers.

Love, Aunt T.

Anonymous said...

HI Margaret!
Enjoy the ride, I pray for health, strength, and safety as you begin!
Gerald K

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret and Joe
Enjoy the ride! I've followed you through your months of training....your start tomorrow brings back many memories of 2005 C2C.
We pray for safety, health and good times!
Take care,
Joyce and Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret
I will pray for you and think of you every day!!! You are an inspiration to all who know you.....not only in this journey but also in the way you live your life with your all!!
God Bless you and be with you and Joe!!
Love Sue
Ted and kids too!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret,
What a wonderful adventure you have undertaken! What an inspiration for me (& others too!). You are one very special child of the King of Kings. You are in my thoughts and prayers - I'm one of many cheering you along.
Blessings,
Meghan

Unknown said...

Margaret,
After all your preparations for joining the sea to sea tour, congratulations on beginning it!! Grace and I hope you have a great time and we'll look forward to reading updates from both you and Hilena now. Hope to see you on the weekend of Aug 22-24. Hello to Joe, and to Hilena. Pastor Jim

hilda said...

Dear Margaret, Thinking of you, now that you have done a couple days of biking on the tour. Enjoy and take in the scenery. God Bless you and all the cyclists and helpers. Say hi to my special cyclist Hilena. Hilda