Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day off...

Just like the official SeatoSea cyclists today, I took a day off and was downright lazy - from my horizonal perch on the back yard hammock, I observed a clear blue sky, no winds, just a wonderful day to be outdoors enjoying creation. Just like the cyclists, we too are without a home right now - since we were going to be away for more than half of the summer, we have given our home to the Span family to live in this summer. They are with CRWM and are home on furlough. We made the same arrangement in 2005 when Joe did the SeatoSea.


I've read all the blogs posted on the website so have a sense of what the last week has been like - all kinds of adventures, very, very warm weather, mountains to climb and mountains to descend. When I read of the speeds downhill, I shudder...so far I haven't reached that speed on my downhill rides and not sure that I want to. It's wonderful to read of the community that has formed on the road, how everyone is there for each other at all times helping out where needed.


Last Friday Joe and I did a 110 km ride from the town of Branchton, where our son lives with his family, to Port Burwell on Lake Erie where they were camped. It was a fairly easy ride - tail winds most of the way and not too many hills to climb. Felt good to get there after spending 5 1/2 hours on the road which included all our breaks as well as a lunch stop. They had an extra vehicle with them that we used to get back - we would have biked back if only we did not have a Saturday a.m. family wedding to attend.


Two more weeks of training before we head off to Denver to join the tour......I'm "fearfully excited" - quoting my brother-in-law, Adrian who used this comment when interviewed by his local newspaper - this describes me right now as well.

3 comments:

John and Helen Koning said...

Fearfully excited! I bet you are sneaking out for some Sunday afternoon rides when no ones looking! Best of luck.
John

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Margaret!
Henry

hilda said...

Margaret
See if this works.Good luck on your last couple of weeks of training in this area. You can do the cycling once you start your sea2sea. Hilda