Sunday, August 24, 2008

End of an awesome weekend.....

Bright and early Saturday morning, Bryan, Geri, Trevor, Justin and Julia met us coming back from breakfast at Redeemer all pumped for the ride to St. Catharines. Bryan, Trevor and Justin were to join me along with others who were cycling for the day. The grandsons were chomping at the bit, the rest of us had to have our Timmie's before heading off. Before you knew it we were on the way - first stop was to say hi and bye to my sister, Dorothy who was waiting for me at the corner of Stone Church Rd. and Upper Ottawa. Next to come along was brother-in-law, Tony who was on the lookout to try to find me in the crowd of cyclists. He stopped for a hug and then we were off again. The next stops were out of Hamilton so now we could cycle for a ways without stopping. I must say I have never seen a view of the city that we saw yesterday - it was neat to see it from a different perspective and it was impressive - Toronto with the CN tower in the distance was visible and the haze had lifted.


Leaving the stop hosted by Fruitland CRC, I noticed that my front tire was soft so we pumped it up and I hoped we would make it to Grimsby and then I would have Joe change it for me while I visited with my mother at Evergreen Terrace. We pumped it up once more at the bottom of Woolverton Rd. and I made it. My mother was excited to meet up with my brother, Wally and myself. I hadn't seen her in five weeks and she had her 85th birthday while I was away so this was my birthday visit. Joe promptly changed both tire and tube so I was good to go again. My cousin, Ann Mary along with her husband, Randy and sister, Grace were at Evergreen to meet me as well. It was so special for me to see them - some of you readers will know her and will know why it was so special.....thank you for coming out.


The refreshment stops kept coming and they were wonderful and at every stop you knew someone so it was a chance to connect with family and acquaintances - all great experiences and I won't even try to list them all but I sure appreciated it. This way everyone got a chance to see the tour in action. We so appreciate the response from the communities. At breakfast that morning one of the cyclists made a comment that it was too bad that some of these churches couldn't have been in Utah where they would have loved to have had some of these treats and attention.


From Grimsby Joe drove to St. Catharines, parked the van and got on his bike to meet us so we could cycle in together. He met up with us and cycled the last ten km in with us. A real treat for the grandsons who did 75 km in all - for 13 year old Trevor that was easier than for Justin who is 12 but we had fun doing it. Memories are made of times like this. How many grandkids can say that they cycled with their grand parents?


Beacon High School soon became a tent city - we parked our van and trailer and stayed with DRS friends, Lawrence and Boukje DeRaaf who opened their home to us. Wonderful to sleep on a real bed and be able to do laundry, visit, etc. etc. This is so appreciated by the cyclists.....

It's now Sunday evening - we're back from the celebration service and supper, just waiting for our peleton meeting so I'll continue my ramblings.

We woke up early this morning and our hosts had gone to make breakfast for the cyclists at the high school while we stayed home and ate our breakfast there - much more relaxing for us this way. I had to reorganize my two laundry baskets which contain all the stuff we have with us on tour and there is still stuff that I have never used or needed. It's amazing how little you really need to have to make life possible on the road. It's good too to see what really is important to you or what you think you need to have.

We were back at the highschool for lunch and then we boarded a school bus to take us to Queenston Heights - the sky is getting darker and darker and we had talked to our daughter and found out that it was pouring rain in the Hamilton area. Oh well, we just had to keep the plan since there was no alternative mentioned to us. We arrived at the park and it was already raining and it kept on raining. Many guests also showed up and we were all huddled under 2 pavilions hoping that the rain would stop. This is at 2:30 and the service is to start at 4:00 - the rain would stop and then it would start up again.....by 3:45 we were told to start making our way over to the band shell area and it was just drizzling. Just after 4:00 the service started and the first song we sang was our theme song for the tour, "Do Something Beautiful" and while we were singing the refrain which goes like, "Go do something beautiful" - the sun came out - how good is our God to have heard the prayers of his people who wanted to have this service outdoors! The rain never started again and we had a wonderful service with Brian Walsh speaking to us on the Fruits of the Spirit and David Raakman as the worship leader. Our son and our daughter and their families joined us for the service - their encouragement and support has been awesome. Many of my church family also came out to greet Hilena and myself and offer encouragement. I feel so blessed but did comment to someone that I'm hoarse from talking so much to everyone today but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Tonight we sleep in a real bed again - we're up very early tomorrow to get ready for our border crossing and then one more week of cycling.

No comments: