Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Well Deserved Day of Rest...

It's Sunday afternoon -I'm sitting inside a wonderfully air-conditioned church sanctuary, using my brother in law's laptop, sending out an update to my blog. The temperature the last two days is in the 100's with a humidex reading of over 100 so you can imagine how hot it is outdoors. We are camped at a YMCA camp right beside a Lutheran church and the people at the church have been awesome to us. We had the choice to go to two CRC churches today, both a 45 minute bus ride away in a school bus so a few of us decided we would forego that and go locally. Some went to the 8:30 service and a few more to the 11:00 one. At the later one they told us that by 1:30 they would bring in some food and drinks for us. Up to the time that we showed up at their services they did not know about us. How wonderful to be out of the heat - I have even packed up my tent and am sleeping indoors tonight. Many have followed suit. We would love to have some of the cooler weather from Ontario come this way. Apparently some cooler weather is in the forecast for next week.

I did not cycle yesterday - having done the whole day on Friday I was exhausted to say the least and I also have some problems with numbness in my hands which I attribute to the vibration of the road conditions so thought another day off would help for both reasons. Even typing is a bit of a problem for me right now. One of the other cyclists has put two layers of foam on my handle bars and today another cyclist lowered my seat a bit and gave me some hints as how to avoid the vibrations so hopefully tomorrow's ride won't aggravate the problem. This too should pass.... Yesterday was a tough day of cycling for those who did it - the winds were mostly not in their favour. Getting into camp early by vehicle gave me a chance to set up Rita and my tents under some trees. One of these days I will ask someone to help me post some pictures so you can see how close together the tents are set up. Hopefully you don't get too close to someone who snores or have to get up overnight to use the facilities or you could trip over some ropes from your neighbour's tent. Last night it did not cool off at all so it was very warm in the tent and the trains kept going all night - we've been told there are 80 trains per day that pass through this area so you can imagine how many train whistles we hear overnight. I can say that the trains haven't kept me awake.

This YMCA also has an arena attached so it looked very comical last evening to see the cyclists in their cycling clothes in rented skates playing hockey while it was so hot outdoors. Many of the young guys landed up sleeping in the arena last evening.

It's getting close to supper time and I shall post this now or I may lose it.....keep praying for us - for safety on the roads, for cooler weather and for tail winds. Tomorrow we head north east and will be in Iowa already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret:
So pleased that we can keep up to date with your trip so far. I can't imagine that you have had such hot weather. Thought that was reserved for Australia!! Hopefully it will cool somewhat for the rest of the journey. We pray that you will be kept safe for the rest of your journey. Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks time.
Love Harriet

Anonymous said...

hi Margaret,
Wow, you have my admiration. Come to northern MI and you will cool down for sure. hope the arms stop being numb. My prayers are with you. Jane